Active living is one of the key actions to increase overall wellbeing and prevent chronic disease in the Alpine Shire. Our health promotion work involves creating supportive environments in the community which make being physically active an easier choice.
What we do
The Active Alpine Group has representation from Alpine Health, Gateway Health, Alpine Shire Council and Sport North East. The group aims to increase and promote opportunities to be active in the Alpine Shire and in turn promote health and wellbeing, social connection and a healthy, thriving community. Our plan is to:
- Promote existing events, free, family-oriented activities and facilities
- Support development of a physical activity policy/strategy
- Support walking and cycling path connections/improvements
- Map existing informal recreation opportunities and multiple-use sporting facilities
- Support sports clubs and workplaces to build healthy environments
We promote physical activity opportunities in the Alpine Shire through the Active April campaign.
Our focus in 2021
- Estabilish community led Myrtleford Fun Run
- Park Run Myrtleford - two trial runs for Ovens Valley Trail (Myrtleford) parkrun on Sunday 11th and 18th April
- Official Launch on Saturday 24th April at Rotary Park (just over the swing bridge) at 8.00am.
- Install Outdoor Fitness Equipment in one Alpine township
- The Rotary Club of Mt Beauty have been successful in getting $106,000 to establish 2 sets of Outdoor Fitness Equipment.
- The sites are at Rotary Park Mt Beauty and Tawonga Pioneer Memorial Park Sites and will begin construction in the week after Easter Monday.
- Advocate to improve walking and cycling connections
- Promote free Family activities, events and facilities
How to access
We welcome anyone who is interested in improving their health and wellbeing through physical activity
Maureen Ryland - Health Promotion Officer