International Women's Day 2022 #BreakTheBias
International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality.
Tuesday 8 March, 2022 is the day across the globe where we celebrate women and come together to imagine a gender equal world. This year’s theme focusses on addressing bias in order to progress women’s equality. The theme #BreakTheBias challenges us all to imagine a world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that's diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated.
In 2022 individuals, businesses, communities and organisations are exploring bias and asking how will you #BreakTheBias. There are many examples of gender bias – both conscious and unconscious – each impact women.
At Alpine Health this work is firmly entrenched in our Gender Equality Action Plan as part of our obligations to advance gender equality in the public sector. https://www.genderequalitycommission.vic.gov.au/
What is gender Bias?
‘Gender Bias’: a prejudice (either overt or hidden) based on someone’s sex that influences our beliefs, behaviour and decision–making.
What is Unconscious Bias?
Unconscious biases are prejudices we have but are unaware of. They are mental shortcuts based on social norms and stereotypes. (Guynn, 2015)
- Scientists estimate we are exposed to as many as 11 million pieces of information at any one time.
- Our brains can only functionally deal with about 40 pieces of information.
- Our perceptive lens allows us to see certain things and miss others depending on the focus of our unconsciousness.
- This tendency to determine quickly “us’ and ‘them’ is foundational to our survival. Knowing whether ‘they’ are one of ‘us’ keeps us safe.
- We are more attentive to our identity and the feeling of ‘otherness’ when we are in a non-dominant group.
- When we are members of the dominant group we often don’t easily see these micro-behaviours that disadvantage others.
How can you be involved?
- Watch this 3 minute video - What is unconscious Bias? Produced by ‘The Ethics Centre’ –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJh20Wi2dMg
- Go to https://www.internationalwomensday.com/
- find or upload an event
- download resources
- watch videos
- and to get involved
“We are all change makers in some way. Keep making noise!” – Grace Tame