The aim of the Youth Services Program is to improve the mental health and well-being of young people and their families within the Alpine Shire. We approach this work through the different strategies of prevention and early intervention.
Some of the common issues that impact on a young person's health and well-being include;
- Bullying and violence
- Learning difficulties
- Family conflict or disruption
- Anxiety and depression
- Isolation or loneliness
- Substance use
- Sexual, physical and or emotional abuse
- Body image
- Relationship problems
- Emerging sexual identity
Communities that Care
Communities that Care is a community based initiative designed to promote the healthy social development of children and young people. Communities that Care provides a process for streamlining planning for prevention to tackle the risk factors identified through a community youth survey and promoting protective factors. Positive family, school and community connections for children and young people create strong bonds and provide the conditions that make it less likely for young people to engage in substance use and other problem behaviour.
Across the Alpine Shire we have adopted Communities That Care framework and created Communities that Care Alpine (CTCA) to concentrate on these key issues;
- Reduce alcohol misuse in early adolescents
- Improve and maintain positive mental health for children, young people and families
- Improve student and parent connection to school
►Find out more about Communities that Care Alpine (CTCA)
Youth Advocacy & Support (Youth Worker)
Our Youth Worker provides free confidential youth advocacy and support services to young people aged 12 - 24 years living in the Alpine Shire. Services may include;
- Working with the young person or family, with a focus on their welfare, providing advocacy and support in finding a resolution to their current presenting issue.
- Facilitating access to youth services and events and supporting young people and their families by providing information, advocacy and guidance.
Young people and parents can be referred through their school, GP or other service providers, self-referral or referred by a friend. This is free service.
►Phone: 03 5754 3531 | 0408 311 255
Youth Counselling (Adolescent Health Worker)
Our Adolescent Health Worker provides free confidential counselling services for young people aged 12-18 years of age living in the Alpine Shire. Services may include;
- Individual therapy or family counselling.
- Connecting young people and their families to other appropriate local and regional services.
The Adolescent Health Worker can be contacted directly by a young person, family member, school teacher or other health professional. This is a free service.
The Adolescent Health Worker is part of a broader regional Rural Child & Adolescent Program with access to specialist services. A referral to other services may be appropriate.
►Phone: 03 5755 0108 | 0408 370 743